Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god; it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia.

The good people of Oklahoma, ever mindful of the looming threat presented by the muslims who make up less than 1 % of its population, voted to ban sharia law last week. Of course, given how abysmally ignorant Americans are about religion, I'm sure most Oklahomans don't know what shariah law is.

And they certainly don't know anything about the Constitution, which wouldn't allow sharia law to be the basis for a state's legal code (or judicial descisions) in the first place.

In the meantime, a federal judge has implemented a temporary restraining order on the ban, so all those Oklahoma judges who were itching to consult their Qu'rans can go to town.

No comments:

Blog Archive